Friday, January 17, 2014

Back to work

It's great to be back in the good old work routine. I started a new job on Monday the 13th and I have to say, the first week just flew. I was a bit worried I wouldn't be able to pick up on things easy enough (did not even know what the job was specifically about!) but there was no reason for that at all. Yes, there are things that I would not know, naturally, due to the nature of the business and its customers but otherwise, everything else makes sense and there is nothing complex about it. I am basically looking at old debts and trying to reconcile past payments and chase non payments on customer accounts. Kind of AR/credit role. Nothing too complicated and I feel like I could do much more already! At some stage I even felt like I knew more than the lady who's training me. She has more insight into specific accounts but I tell ya I beat everyone with SAP knowledge by far. Very proud of myself! Even showed her a few tricks how to do stuff more easily.
Everything is so messed up and there are a lot of changes happening in the organisation and it appears that all the contractors (that's what we are called) are reluctant to change. I guess they are stuck in their old habits and already got used to doing things in a specific way. The lady who trains me is a bit OCD - she doesn't seem to like anyone telling her what to do, nor touching her mouse or her phone or any of her stuff. Yeah, I noticed how she compulsively washes her hands in the toilet and constantly rubs her hands with sanitizer. Kind of funny how she won't let anyone touch her PC, even when something needs to be shown. Marju, she looks like your mum and she is pretty much same age too (exclude the ocd part though :))
Nevertheless, I am happy enough in my easy job. Now, I have to say it again. There are a lot of older people in the office again. Where the hell are all the young ones? Last office job in Melbourne was the same. Where are they all hiding? There are a good few Irish working with us - good old Dublin and Kerry accent. So funny to hear it all the way in Australia. My boss was laughing saying I am the Estonian with an Irish accent. Apparently, I sound Irish. I disagree.
I am on the apartment hunt again and starting to seriously consider renting a bed in a twin room in CBD (central business district, city centre) because it is so much cheaper. I don't really fancy paying almost half of my wages into weekly rent. Kind of deceives the purpose of saving. I'd rather save the money for travelling and if I find a nice apartment with a nice roommate then it can't be all that bad, can it? The rent usually for a double room is approx 300 AUD per week, some of them charge bills extra, some of them don't. The rent for a bed in a twin room could be somewhere between 150-180, bills included. Plus I have to pay for public transport to get to work unless I find a room with a walking distance to work. Highly unlikely! I know I said to myself I would never share a room but that seems to be the only option for now, unfortunately.

No comments: