Thursday, December 12, 2013

Sydney update

I've been in Sydney for two and a half weeks now and still living in a hostel! The one on Coogee Beach was the worst though. I got out of there pretty quickly and checked into a flash hostel called Wake Up! It's right in the centre of Sydney CBD, next to the train station. Walking distance pretty much to everywhere. I paid 38 AUD per night for a room that is shared by 6 people. Not too bad huh? Pretty expensive I have to say. The rooms are spacious, clean and the bunk beds are pretty good too. Not sure how good a bunk bed can be anyway... After a week in a room with 6 I had to change rooms when I wanted to extend my stay for another week. Now I have been staying in a room of 10 (mixed) and witnessed a good few "events"! The rate is slightly cheaper, 36 per night. It doesn't really make a difference whether I am sharing with 6 or 10 people. Just as much space and generally no noise at night, so everyone can sleep. No worries. There was some excitement in my room the other night though when a Dutch guy was having sex with some random girl he had picked up from the hostel. Apparently, he thought there was no one in the room. Seriously? There were 3 or 4 people in the room and not asleep. They had covered the bunk bed with a large bedsheet and just got on with it. All I could hear was the squeaking of the bed and the girl breathing heavily. I decided to go and have a shower instead of listening to their rythm!
I have been job hunting for the past few weeks and things were looking pretty grim until today. Had been to numerous agencies selling myself and convincing them I could really do well in any job but everyone's just talk an no action. Finally, one of them thought they could get me for an interview with one BIG brand. I am sure every single person knows the name very well and has consumed their products at some stage in their lives. Not giving away the name yet as I haven't even been to the interview and I am far away from having a job!! But fingers crossed if everything works out I might have a contract for six months which means I can then start looking at flights to go home on holidays after the contract is finished :) The job doesn't start before January but at least I would have something to go to after holidays.
Oh, by the way, I also got my 2nd year visa approved. Happy days, another year and few months to enjoy sunny Australia!
More good news, I got myself a room / studio until the end of January. I met this random guy at the bar a week ago and he said he was going on holidays and is looking to let the room he is staying in for the duration of his holidays. I said I cannot afford expensive rent and he told me I should go and check it out and if I liked it I could tell my price and then we could maybe agree on something. I had my doubts for a while but then I thought why not. I went to view the place yesterday and it is amazing. I could nearly live in the bathroom. It is massive and pretty much brand new. The apartment itself is a 3-bed apt but the room I have has got its own key and entrance. I also have my own little cooker and oven and fridge and gym equipment that I can use in the room. The train station is literally 2 mins away and the neighbourhood is really nice too! I am so lucky. Besides, if I do get the job, then the office will only be two train stops away from me. And town centre is 10-15 mins on the train. Excellent! I will pay 250 AUD per week but I will have it all to myself, no sharing, no bills, even free Internet. The guy wanted to charge me for Internet but I said I would not use it if I had to pay, so he is leaving the password for me for free haha. Can't wait to move in already!
Hopefully, everything works out as planned and I can start thinking about New Years Eve party. I am planning on going to Byron Bay with my Aussie girlfriend who I worked with at the farm. She can bring the goods (ute, tent, swags etc) and I can make arrangements. I am looking at camp sites at the moment, so once we get it booked I am ready to roll on a low budget. Obviously, we are both on a low budget but hey, who cares! It will be fun! Byron Bay is supposed to be crazy at new years eve, so looking forward to a big party! I will head to library tomorrow morning and upload some pics that I have taken in the past few weeks.

No comments: