Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Sydney to Wollongong

My life these days has been more and more about bike riding and fitness. Since I cycle to work almost every day anyway, I  thought I might as well cycle with a goal! So the goal was to participate in a charity ride called Sydney to Gong to support people suffering from Multiple Sclerosis. Total distance of the ride being 90km and number of participants reached around 10,000. That was an amazing ride! I exceeded my own expectations in terms of how much I could push out of my legs! I aimed to finish the ride in around 4hrs 15 mins but managed to squeeze it just under 4 with 3:52. I must mention I would have been faster if there hadn't been thousands of riders on the roads. Nevertheless, what an achievement, considering the second half of the ride had multiple difficult ascents! Those rides to work & back home really helped me on the hills. Riding across Harbour Bridge to the North shore of Sydney isn't a walk in the park and is a significant cardio exercise, no matter how slow I go! In fact, it's better to go faster :) Oh, and P.S. I beat a number of blokes while climbing hills. The satisfaction of being better haha. I also beat two guys that started the ride with me by an hour. I can pat myself on the back for this!
That was the highlight of spring here. I will have to think of any other activities I could do while I'm still here in Australia. Beach volleyball would naturally be on top of my list but strangely I have only played it once. I've been participating in weekly social indoor volleyball trainings though. Starting to get back into it! I'll have to upload some pics from the amazing ride when they get uploaded to the website.

No comments: