Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Australian Dream

I guess every young person sees Australia as the land of opportunities. Easy money, no problem to get a job, no problem to change jobs - after all there are loads to choose from! This may be the case for people with permanent residency but probably not the case for working holiday visa holders. You have to be really lucky to bag a job immediately after arrival in this country of sunshine! Yes, there is no problem to find a job but the question lies in which job and what amount of money are you willing to work for?
It is pretty easy to earn some quick cash and work in a farm as someone's slave. If you really need some cash you will work for any amount as long as it keeps you going for a while. The farmers tend to take advantage of the government incentives for backpackers to work in the rural areas. When staying here with a working holiday visa, it is possible to obtain a 2nd year visa by doing 88 days (or a total of 3 months work) in a farm. The farmers know there are thousands of travelers around who are looking for work, so they pay the least possible amounts to people (since they are willing to work anyway). Whether you get employed through a government agency, you will have to agree on the salary yourself with the farmer and that is where the problem starts. There are also organisations called working hostels that promise you work and in return you stay at the hostel, pay for the accommodation and they take you to work. Plus the hostels charge you for transport to work as well!
Some of them are very profit orientated, so I would recommend for people to do their research before they say yes to a place that does not really look trustworthy or respectful. In general I would not recommend a working hostel but to contact farmers directly. The chances then are higher to find an honest farmer who will pay fair wages for the work done.
Going back to the "real" jobs... My search is still underway and I have not found anything after applying for 142 jobs in total over the past few months. All replies have been negative. I am starting to think is there something that wrong with me? I consider myself with pretty decent working background and the agencies have been very pleased with me. How come they are not able to find me anything? Just talk and that's all? Seriously? Anyway, I will keep looking for office jobs and parallel with that I have started looking at any jobs. I know for sure, like Murphy's Law, when ever I accept a "shit" job I will get a better offer from an agency. All the opportunities will present themselves together. There is never a chance that things will go smoothly.
Ciao

No comments: