Sunday, September 29, 2013

ignorance is bliss


I am currently in day 64 of 88 farm days. Sounds like AA, counting the days! I have been living at a farm for such a long time, I don't even know what make up and getting dressed up means any more. Oh, and those fancy dinners in restaurants... I can only dream of that too. All I do is eat beef in all shapes and forms every single day and drink rum "cocktails" and too much wine and don't feel guilty about any of it!I have acquired a certain vocabulary while being here. Darl - darling. That's what I get called all the time. I also get called "love" (not as often as in the beginning but there is no harm intended). The word seems to have a bad reputation from Ireland..
Ag is short for agriculture - that's what the new girl told me when I asked her what she is studying.
Nag - a horse or horses. I was asked a question about them today and I did not know what nag meant. Well, now I know. Not sure if it exists in common English.
Feral - used for wild animals. Also used to describe one's wild daughter who has a strong attitude towards the rest of the world. Don't get me wrong. She is a lovely person and does not have loose manners.
Instead of getting pissed or drunk or hammered or plastered the locals get feral, I mean countryside locals would call themselves feral when they are significantly drunk.
Shit yeah, shit no - very common co-expression around here. Not considered vulgar. I will start using it, hehe.
The English couple that stayed here for a couple of weeks came to a conclusion that you could easily get killed by so many different things that it is unimaginable. I have only recently discovered the threat of swooping magpies during their nesting season. Ignorance really is bliss. There is one living on a tree in the farm. It probably had a go at me and another girl once. Apparently, you are not supposed to run or drive away fast but keep calm and move further away while waving hands  over the head and wearing a helmet or hat and sunglasses or even better - use an umbrella! All this stuff that I wasn't even aware of!
If I were to walk out of the house in the dark I'd get cane toads, geckos, lizzards etc everywhere. Those geckos may be little cute reptiles but they are very loud and annoying. I haven't slept peacefully for the past 4-5 nights ever since I discovered one from my bed while I was attempting to fall asleep. It just dropped from the ceiling! Looks like its boots aren't good enough to resist gravity.
I have unsuccessfully tried to catch them in my room and take them outside so I could sleep at night. After realising that a glass wasn't going to do it I changed it into a larger carton. It gives me reaction time when the gecko moves. They are very fast! I managed to cut off one's tail with the glass and the tail still moved afterwards. Creepy!! Now I've got a tailless gecko living in my room, getting fatter and fatter, feeding on the insects that have also come to live with me! After switching a glass to a carton I have caught two geckos thinking "yeah, I got them all" but my bad luck - I discovered another two sneaking around on the walls.One of them is the big fat tailless one that I really do not fancy! I am on a mission again to catch those culprits. I have found one of their hiding holes on the window and stuffed the whole length of the window with toilet paper. We'll see if that was the place where they sneaked into the house from! That's all the exciting country life news this time!


No comments: