Monday, August 19, 2013

Pub night

OK, so I had a hangover on Saturday! We worked really hard on Friday shoveling chicken shit all day. I have managed to shovel wood chips, compost and chicken shit. I think I deserve a beer for that. We went to the pub with the farmer’s son. It was great to see him getting out of the work mode and be a young person like us. J We’d love to see him in the “real world”. The local pub was pretty much the size of an average apartment and it is supposed to empty up by 10pm when everyone goes home. I guess if we stayed longer we would have been the only ones left! After returning home from the pub he joined us for another few at our place. Good fun! The only problem was getting up early the next morning.
Today is Sunday and it is supposed to be a no stress day but I’ve had the worst farm day ever. I officially ran over my first chicken and witnessed others trying to eat the poor thing that was stuck under the wheel. So sad.. I already had a feeling something was going to happen and it did. I am really sorry. Poor chicken! I also had to kill another one in the evening. It was alive but looked like paralysed and not able to move its legs. The joint decision was to kill it, unfortunately. Otherwise she would be eaten alive by others. I tried to break its neck according to instructions but I just couldn’t. It was too hard. Of course Why-Man did not offer his help either and when I asked he said he’d prefer not to and walked away! As I was physically not able to kill the chicken the English girl just decided to drive over the chicken and kill it like that. Guess what, it did not die! In the end I think it did but it was very traumatic for both of us.
Sunday 16km walks have become a tradition at this stage and will keep up our exercising routine.  Not saying anything about the small portion of chips I had in town +apple crumble and chocolate for dinner....
On our way back we noticed a herd of cows following us. I wonder do they just follow humans when they see them or was it the bright pink shorts that got their attention? I mean they were not following us on the road but just beside the road. There is a large field out there and each time they see us, they all gather up from across the field, just stand in front of us and stare at us as if they are waiting for further instructions.

By the way, Sampson managed to knock me over while playing with Delilah. Sampson is one of the white dogs’ that guards the chicken with his sister, and while they were playing I got involved too and subsequently got knocked over. It was a hard enough hit that I landed on my stomach. Sampson just stopped in front of me and looked at me and probably wondered what had just happened. He is so adorable and sometimes cheeky when playing around. He likes to grab the chicken and drag them around in his mouth. He is only playing with them but it is better if he does not get used to it!

That's whathappens when you play with a dog the size of a horse!



How to kill a chicken








No comments: