Sunday, July 7, 2013

Footy

Last night we went to see a footy match between the top two teams in the league here. Geelong vs Hawthorn. Footy isn't the normal football / soccer. It is something similar to GAA. The stadium was almost full. The screen showed 85,157 spectators. The capacity of the MCG is apparently 100,000. To my surprise, the crowd was not going crazy and there was very little cheering going on. I was really hoping for amazing atmosphere but I had to be disappointed. Overall, the experience itself was good. We seats with excellent views so definitely worth a visit!
The locals usually have the full season or even lifetime passes and reserved seats for each of their team's matches.


From 23rd of July I will be moving on to do some regional work. I will stay at a farm in NSW (about three hours drive from Newcastle towards North inland) for 5 weeks and then move on to another farm in QLD which is located just near Rockhampton. The one in NSW mainly deals with chicken and open range eggs plus additional cattle of around 1000. The second farm mainly deals with breeding and selling cattle. I will probably get to see artificial fertilisation of some weird looking cows. By weird I don't mean ugly, just different from the ones I am used to!
Once I get there I will write about it in more detail.
The work that I will be doing is pretty much voluntary in exchange for food and accommodation. I might even get paid in QLD farm but not yet sure about that. I need to work in the regional area a total of 88 days to qualify for my second year working holiday visa. I believe doing voluntary work would give me a much more valuable experience from the real Aussie families and lifestyle. Ultimately, they invite a random person into their home and treat you as part of their family. I think this could be an amazing experience provided everything works out well between me and the families.

No comments: